Wednesday 15 February 2012

In the meantime...


Seeing as I currently don't have any projects on the go, it's a little cold out in an uninsulated garage workshop during a Canadian winter, I thought I'd throw up some of my previously completed projects in the leather world. 

A Practical Carrying Device
The following is the construction of a leather 'haversack' or shoulder bag for Sam to use when we do our 1812 Re-Enacting (more on that to follow). I modeled the design off a sporran that I've had for years, and simply enlarged it to suit the purpose.


Here are all the pieces cut out. Fairly simple in design and execution. Simple, but sturdy and functional.


Before this piece, the only dyeing of leather that I had done was with extremely dark dyes, black mostly. So being unfamiliar with the finer points of application it's no surprise that the dye dried a little streaky. But I like to think that if it were made by a farmer back in the early 1800's, it wouldn't have been perfect either!


Here's what the finished product looks like. Yes, I know the direction of the dye on the flap and main body run in different directions, and it drives my OCD crazy each time I see it! I added a brass buckle, for adjustment over heavier clothing in cold weather, and the piece of glazed pottery on the front was Sam's choice for a closure. The leather cord attached to the flap is wrapped around the disc to fasten the flap down. As with all my pieces, I find many points for improvement but Sam likes it and wears in around camp proudly, so what else can matter?

Quiver

Among my Lady's many amazing qualities, is an attraction to activities some 'modern' people would call unusual. A long-time enjoyment of archery is one of those activities (I know, I found me a great woman!). Knowing this, I thought back to when I had made myself a quiver for my own archery dabbling. Working with a pattern I had devised, I made some alterations to make the quiver more functional for Sam.


With this piece, I decided to go use regular stitching to fasten the straps to the body and to anchor the buckle. For the body and bottom piece, I opted to use leather lacing to 'lace' up the bottom and side. The only considerations when apply this process is to ensure that you punch and space out an appropriate number of holes in the pieces to achieve the look you're going for. 


To finish this piece, I decided to apply a simple black dye. For a utilitarian quiver that will see plenty of use and abuse over the years I felt that black was the best option. To compliment the lacing binding the body of the quiver, I continued it up along the rim of the top portion. It ties the whole piece together nicely, and adds a somewhat decorative touch to an otherwise martial item. As you can see, the quiver easily houses Sam's compliment of arrows, as well as her hand-made bow. Overall, I'm very pleased with how this project turned, something I very rarely state!

No comments:

Post a Comment